For Consumers and Families
Please note: Some providers may be urging our members to sign up for managed care (the Standard Plan) and listing the health plans they have contracted with to help them choose a health plan. While we welcome this type of provider involvement, we are aware that it may be causing some confusion among those people who do not need to sign up at this time. Not all Medicaid enrollees are moving to managed care. Members who do not have to sign up for the Standard Plan are those on the Innovations Waiver and people getting intensive mental health or substance use disorder services.
This Managed Care Fact Sheet (in Spanish) outlines who must, may or cannot choose a health plan during this time. It also has contact information for the toll-free NC Medicaid Enrollment Broker Call Center (1-833-870-5500 or https://ncmedicaidplans.gov/home).
For more information about NC Medicaid Managed Care, visit:
- or -
Sandhills Center is committed to helping individuals and families receive the care that they need. We will help you identify the most suitable provider to meet your needs.
There are two ways to find a provider of services:
Give Us a Call
Dial 1-800-256-2452 at any time to speak with the Sandhills Center staff. We provide answers to your questions and assist in connecting you with providers in your community.
For those who have difficulty hearing and/or have a speech disability, please call 1-866-518-6778, or TTY 711.
Medicaid rules require that interpreter services be provided at no cost. Providers who need assistance in arranging interpreter services for those who do not speak English should contact the Customer Service Department at 1-800-256-2452.
When needed, interpreter services will be arranged through our Call Center or through your provider at no cost to you.
If someone is experiencing a behavioral health crisis, contact our BH Crisis Line toll-free at 1-833-600-2054. If an individual appears to be in imminent danger to themselves, you or others, immediately call 911.
Browse Our Directory
If you want to select the provider and make an appointment on your own, visit the Sandhills Center Provider Directory. You can search by Service Type, Funding Source, Location and Name.
If you feel you need a service and your provider does not agree, you may contact Sandhills Center Customer Service toll-free at 1-800-256-2452 to discuss the matter.
Rights and Protections
It is the policy and practice of Sandhills Center to assure your basic human rights. In addition, you have the right to:
- Be treated fairly and with respect regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, mental or physical disability, sex, age, sexual preference, or ability to pay.
- Participate in making your Service Plan and in decisions regarding your Health Care including the right to refuse treatment.
- Receive information about Sandhills Center, its services, its practitioners and providers, and referrals for Specialty Care (including cost sharing, if any) and how to access Medicaid benefits that are not covered. [NCQA RR 1 A.1]
- Receive information about your rights and responsibilities. [NCQA RR 1 A.1]
- Be free from restraint or seclusion used as a means of coercion, discipline, convenience or retaliation.
- Request and receive a copy of your medical record. If you doctor or therapist decides that this would be harmful to your physical or mental well-being, you may ask that the information be sent to a doctor or professional of your choice.
- Receive your services in a safe place.
- Refuse services, unless the services are court-ordered.
- Include any persons you wish in your treatment.
- Have your protected health information kept private.
- Obtain information in your own language or have it translated.
- Receive oral interpretation services at no cost to you.
- File a grievance, or appeal without penalty. [NCQA RR 1 A.5]
- Receive good care from providers who know how to take care of you.
- Participate with your practitioners in making decisions about your health care. [NCQA RR 1 A.3]
- Choose a provider from the Provider Network.
- Use your rights with no negative action by the NC Division of MH/DD/SAS or Sandhills Center and maintain the same civil and legal rights as anyone else.
- Be treated with respect, including dignity and privacy. [NCQA RR 1 A.2]
- Receive information on available treatment choices and alternatives, regardless of cost or benefit coverage, and to have these choices explained in a way you can understand them. [NCQA RR 1 A.4]
- A State Fair Hearing about any action taken by Sandhills Center, including a service denial.
- Recommend changes to Sandhills Center Policy and Procedures, including its member rights and responsibilities policy. [NCQA RR 1 A.6]
- Get information on how to recommend changes in Sandhills Center Policy and Procedures.
- Make written Advance Directives.
- Get a second opinion for treatment. To get a second opinion, call Customer Service at 1800-256-2452 and request to speak to a staff member who can set up a second opinion within the network or arrange for one outside of the network at no cost to you.
- To report that suspected violation to the NC Department of Health and Human Services if you live in an Adult Care Home and believe there has been any violation of your rights.
You have the responsibility to:
- Give information needed for your care to your providers.
- Follow instructions and guidelines from your providers.
- Understand your health problems and participate in developing treatment goals that you and your practitioner agree on, as much as possible. [NCQA MBHO RR 1 A.9]
- Know the name of your Clinical home and the staff working with you.
- Schedule appointments during regular office hours when possible, limiting the use of Urgent Care and Emergency Room facilities.
- Arrive on time for appointments.
- Attend all scheduled appointments or call to cancel before the scheduled time.
- Participate in creating your Service Plan.
- Be aware of your rights. Take care of yourself.
- Assist in moving towards your recovery.
- Treat others with respect and work cooperatively with others.
- Provide financial information and document your income.